Monday, April 27, 2009

ASK THE DOC: Weak bladder


Question by Troubled

I am a 22-year-old male. Since last year, I’ve been unable to control my bladder. Sometimes, I’ll wake up in the middle of the night and rush to the toilet. I’ve noticed that this problem does not occur when I’m feeling more relaxed. I’ve seen a doctor. The test results show that my kidneys and bladder are fine. Is my inability to control my bladder caused by anxiety or tension? Is my condition serious?


Reply from Dr Poh Beow Kiong
Associate Consultant Urologist,
Changi General Hospital

There is a possibility that you might have Overactive Bladder Syndrome (OAB), a condition when the bladder involuntarily contracts suddenly.

Before we can come to the diagnosis of OAB, you need specific medical tests to rule out other urological conditions such as urinary stones and/or urinary tract infection.

OAB can vary in severity. However, there is a good chance that your symptoms can be controlled by medication. I suggest you consult a urologist to have a better understanding of your condition and do the necessary tests.


The information provided above is for your general knowledge only. You should seek medical advice or treatment for your condition.


health@newstoday.com.sg
Email us if you have a medical query.


From TODAY, Health – Tuesday, 21-April-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment