Monday, March 30, 2009

Thalassemia

A scanning electron microscope image of normal...
A scanning electron microscope image of normal circulating human blood showing red blood cells, several types of white blood cells including lymphocytes, a monocyte, a neutrophil and many small disc-shaped platelets. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I was called by an attendant from my wife's clinic where she is doing her monthly prenatal check-ups, and they asked me, the father, to go for CBC (complete blood count) test, or otherwise knows as FBC (full blood count) test. This I know.

Then I was told to go for another test, which sounded unfamiliar to me, so I tried to remember how it sounded. Then I searched for it in the web.

Thalassemia. That is the test I was supposed to go for. I wanted to find out if this is something that is really required or just a routine check. So I found one article here, then another one here, and a third one here.

----------
Health conscious?
----------

Based on what I read, I think I should go for the test. It is more for the gynaecologist to be settled that nothing is wrong with our baby, who is currently on week 14, than for me and my wife. Reason being is that we have already decided to keep our baby, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment